Friday, April 01, 2005

Tsunami (a real dream, not a societal commentary!)

I find that when I travel abroad I always end up having the strangest dreams for a month or two afterward.
Last night I dreamt that I was down on the beach near my hotel in India. Me and some of my friends were playing in the sand with hundreds of other Indian people. Suddenly, we looked out to sea to find the tide receding quickly. It went out for hundreds of yards, leaving rocks and reefs exposed. People stopped and stared out to the horizon, confused. Someone shouted that there had been an earthquake, and now a second tsunami was coming. And then we saw a giant wave, 200 feet high. People began screaming and running in terror. I grabbed my friends and began to run, turning back to glance at the wave.
I saw a girl in a red sari standing, casually eating an ice cream cone. I stopped and grabbed the edge of her dress and asked her why she wasn't running away from this certain death. She replied that she was sick of living in fear, sick of wondering when the next tsunami would hit, devastating the rest of her people. So she refused to believe the wave was coming. She sat down on a rock and continued eating her ice cream. I saw the wave envelop her, and I continued to run. I asked someone where to go to be safe, to live. He told me to go back to my hotel room on the 12th floor. We jumped from the ground to the 12th floor, into a window, and onto a bed. We all held hands and sat to watch the wave on our movie screen. So tragic, we thought. We should do something for those poor below us, being swallowed by that monster. But once safe, we didn't dare go back to save anyone. Instead, we watched contentedly. Until suddenly the wave swelled up to the 12th floor. We felt the building shake, and then sway back and forth. I clutched the hand of my best friend, and began to cry because I knew we were going to die. It was the kind of feeling that was so intense and so real, that I woke myself up in a panic.

2 Comments:

At 2:28 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Danelle,
Good writing. When I read it, it really felt like I was there and immersed in what was happening. It made me think of how Americans see stuff on tv and they are like "that's too bad, we should help" and then they forget about it or put it off. Or they ask "why didn't the people run?" I think your picture that you painted with your words of the girl standing on the beach not caring that she might die because she didn't care, was very true. Americans who have not experienced how the people there live have no clue about why things happened there they way they did!

 
At 2:29 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

oops, that last post was by me, Chantel. ;)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home