Thursday, March 16, 2006


So all of these photos were from a Liturgy piece I did--a slide show and music. They kind of sucked on the big screen, so i thought i'd post them here. The piece was trying to communicate how I feel about Renton.

Now that I work here and practically live here, I get to watch this dying city everyday. Sitting in community meetings, I hear people talk robustly about making the community better, but with no real purpose behind it, and no direction. "Build another park" they say. Make kids tidy up a street" they say. But why? This is what I ask. If you have no purpose, all good intentions shall be lost, while apathy makes great strides. Without Christ, there is no purpose. They want us to love a city. But this city is sick and dying , already decaying. Instead I say love the people that are here, love them because God loves them; love them like God loves them. So I wanted these photos to capture the ugliness and desolation of this city, but to also capture the vibrance of the people and the purpose; God's mission.

Though I didn't post/can't get a hold of most of my photos of the kids (the ones i post here were snapped with mike's little digital), I wanted to at least try to capture the glory of what God is doing at Harambee, through our project to love the community. Guess it helps get the point across better if my great google photo program actually posted them in order. Oh well, you get the idea...

1 Comments:

At 5:39 PM, Blogger kayla said...

Wow. These really turned out awesome. I love the effect of using the slide film really brought out the contrasty just off feeling I have about Renton. You know like having a classy wine joint just down the street from sports bar central. And the condos and apartments in the middle of buildings that don't look like they could possibly be still standing. It looks one way but then something is off.

We should see about uploading some of these to the flickr acct. I was thinking it would be cool to have some of the liturgy slides up as a set.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home