Saturday, December 08, 2007

My 16 year old brother is high

Today I've spent the entire day, in my pajamas, working on my fiction final for class--and WAITING. Waiting to get a call from my mother, to make sure my baby brother is o.k. He went in for reconstructive face surgery at 1:00pm (see below post). My mother called me at 6:00pm to report that he is finally out, and doing alright. Though, they haven't yet been able to see him, as he is still in the recovery room waiting for his first experience of anethesia to wear off, rendering him sleepy and confused, with a fat face.

I feel the first worries that a mother must feel. Poor baby! What if he wakes up scared and confused and no one is around to comfort him!

His cheek was fractured in 4 places, and some of the soft surrounding tissue is dead. They removed the bones from his sinuses, and patched all that up. Something in his eye was damaged, but they think they were able to fix it, but we've got to wait and see. His jaw also broke in some places, some muscle tearing away from it. There may be some nerve damage, which may result in a numb face. Also some tooth damage, though hopefully that can be fixed.

But I think he is doing well, and I may try to go see him tonight, though he'll have morphine coursing through his veins instead of blood, so conversations about things other than rainbows or dragons may be difficult. I might go keep my mother company.

But for now, I shall continue the lonely life of the fiction writer, in her pajamas, drinking too much coffee, alone. Husband is at some manish birthday party (something about nerdy German board games and dark beers). And the Australians are out having a good time at the KEXP show at the Showbox. And my friend is sitting at home husbandless, wondering why I don't come over. Ah, damn school, and perfectionism. Hopefully I'll be done soon.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home