Thursday, March 27, 2008

Art School Confidential

Can you believe it? I switched my major to art. Visual communications to be exact. That's design. I still have to actually apply to the highly competitive program, but I finally made the mental decision, and started my basic art courses.

These are my first art classes ever--which seems a funny thing to say for someone who has just viciously thrown all her Fabergé eggs in an art major basket.

In all my 432 slow drawn out years of attempting to receive an undergraduate diploma, I have been on the english major track. And now I am thrust into a very strange world of underage art kids. I'm not so sure what to make of my new 2 year future existence.

English kids are weird; they're usually prone to depression, binge drinking, anxiety, and sexual struggles. And the rest are obsessed with writing the next LOTR while wearing an elvish outfit in their mother's basement.

But art kids are way stranger. I'm not quite sure how to categorize them yet, but I feel worlds away (But I fit right in with the above categories?). Perhaps it's something to do with me being a good 10 years older than most of them, yet being grouped in with them; these skinny-pants-wearing-interpretive-dance-doing-over-privileged-white-misunderstood-finding themselves-through-naked-lady-drawing-no-wait-Christian-school-alternative-Jesus- interpretations-18-year-olds are apparently my peers. Hmmm...I'll keep investigating my new world and report back soon. I totally wrote this in my sketchbook while smoking behind the cafeteria.

Why then the dramatic major switch, you ask? In a brief sentence, I grew up as an artist, but just never knew it till now. I'm embracing my misunderstood inner me.

Thus, spring break is over.

1 Comments:

At 4:46 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I love the fact that your true artist nature was probably apparent to everyone but you!

Hooray for mid-20s-self-discovery.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home